Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving -EquityExchange
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:02:46
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center the owner and pilot of the doomed Titan sub, had offered millionaire Jay Bloom and his son discounted tickets to ride on it, and claimed it was safer than crossing the street, a Facebook post from Bloom said. The sub suffered a "catastrophic implosion" on its dive to view the Titanic earlier this week, killing Rush and the other four people on board.
On Thursday, just hours after the Coast Guard announced that the wreckage of the sub had been found, Bloom, a Las Vegas investor, revealed texts he had exchanged with Rush in the months leading up to the trip.
In one text conversation in late April, Rush reduced the price of the tickets from $250,000 to $150,000 per person to ride the submersible on a trip scheduled for May. As Bloom contemplated the offer, his son Sean raised safety concerns over the sub, while Rush — who once said he'd "broken some rules" in its design — tried to assure them.
"While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying a helicopter or even scuba diving," Rush wrote, according to a screen shot of the text exchange posted by Bloom.
Bloom said that in a previous in-person meeting with Rush, they'd discussed the dive and its safety.
"I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong," Bloom wrote, adding, "He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street."
Ultimately, the May trip was delayed until Father's Day weekend in June, and Bloom decided not to go.
"I told him that due to scheduling we couldn't go until next year," Bloom wrote. "Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19 year old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion (the fifth being Hamish Harding)."
Bloom wasn't the only one who backed out of the trip. Chris Brown, a friend of Harding and self-described "modern explorer," told CNN earlier this week he decided to not go because it "seemed to have too many risks out of my control" and didn't come across as a "professional diving operation." David Concannon, an Idaho-based attorney and a consultant for OceanGate Expeditions, said over Facebook that he canceled due to an "urgent client matter."
The U.S. Coast Guard said it would continue its investigation of the debris from the sub, found near the Titanic shipwreck site, to try to determine more about how and when it imploded.
Industry experts and a former employee's lawsuit had raised serious safety concerns about OceanGate's operation years before the sub's disappearance. In 2018, a professional trade group warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
"Titanic" director James Cameron, an experienced deep-sea explorer who has been to the wreckage site more than 30 times, said that "OceanGate shouldn't have been doing what it was doing."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- OceanGate
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (97661)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter crashes near Mexican border with minor injury reported
- Stock market today: World shares are mixed, while Tokyo’s benchmark extends its New Year rally
- The Patriots don’t just need a new coach. They need a quarterback and talent to put around him
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Schumer moving forward with temporary funding bill to avoid shutdown as spending talks continue
- United Airlines plane makes an emergency landing after a warning about a possible door issue
- Ariana Grande Returns to Music With First Solo Song in 3 Years yes, and?”
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Why Emma Stone Applies to Be a Jeopardy! Contestant Every Year
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Think Bill Belichick is retiring? Then I've got a closet of cut-off hoodies to sell you
- Ex-manager for West Virginia disaster recovery group sentenced to more than 3 years for theft
- FAA says it is investigating Boeing over Alaska Airlines' mid-air blowout
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Mississippi cities under boil-water notice after E. coli found in samples
- Reggie Wells, Oprah's longtime makeup artist and Daytime Emmy winner, dies at 76
- Average long-term mortgage rates rise again, reaching their highest level in 4 weeks
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Ariana Madix Details Rollercoaster Journey From Scandoval to Broadway Debut
Is the musical 'Mean Girls' fetch, or is it never going to happen?
Bill Belichick-Patriots split: What we know and what's next for head coach, New England
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Kevin Hart reveals what he'd like to change about comedy in 2024: 'It's all opinion'
Oregon's Dan Lanning says he is staying at Oregon and won't replace Nick Saban at Alabama
Patriots coach candidates: Mike Vrabel, Jerod Mayo lead options to replace Bill Belichick